Saturday, December 18, 2010

The good and the bad!

I’ve sat at the computer every day for the last few months. And these past few weeks I’ve been trying to think of something funny, witty, spectacular, deep, entertaining or even just slightly interesting to say, and I haven’t found it.
I think that’s why it took me so long to even start blogging. I keep thinking that I need to write something great for my readers and if I don’t, why should I even write.
Now I’ve noticed something about myself recently, I don’t know if it’s just me. I don't know why I do this. But it’s bothering me.
Any time I start to do something – right now, it’s the weight loss thing – I imagine myself telling people about how I did it. Oh no, not a one-on-one kind of thing. As a speaker. Now, I have done a little bit of public speaking at a few ladies meetings, so I’m not really afraid of it anymore. What bugs me is that whenever I think of my future success at anything, I’m always thinking of publicly speaking about it. I know, weird!
Most people are terrified of public speaking and I’m going around thinking about how to say something that will resonate with my audience.
Which brings me back to my first point – I don’t know what to blog about because I think it all has to be about success and “doing good”.
One of the things I’ve learnt about reading other weight loss blogs is that most of you write about “the good, the bad and the ugly”. You people are honest. I like that. I appreciate that. I’d like to be that.
So, here’s a few honest ups and downs.
This week has for the most part been pretty good. Monday was a weigh in and I was happy that the numbers on the scale went down.
Wednesday we had a cookie baking day at my mom’s house.Mom, my younger sister and I each had prepared 4 different cookie doughs to be rolled, baked and (some) frosted that day. It was a lot of fun and I sampled 3 cookies (usually just a bite and not a whole cookie). 
Our kids sure had a great time. After baking and divvying up the cookies we went swimming at my brother-in-law’s place. Since we’ve had a “cold spell”, the water was quite cold, but the kids and mom got in anyway – I couldn’t find my bathing suit!
Today it’s back to the 100ºF’s.
Yesterday morning I did Day 1 of the C25K week 3. I did it! The first few weeks of doing this were so hard. I think I was jogging faster though. I jog really slowly now. But I feel the burn! And I look forward to the challenge. I think I may even get to week 4 in a week (I’ve usually been doing each week for 2 weeks).
Last night my husband and I had our old disagreement about wants and needs. I was so upset, not at him, but at the circumstances. I want  kitchen cupboards and he wants to stay out of debt. Yeah, his way is better, and my arguments are really convincing, but… we really do want to live debt free, and we do have car payments to make (which are actually our only payments).  All this to say, I was upset and decided I was going to fulfill a want, right now. And that want was pizza and chocolate.
Yes, it was still way to many calories, but I put pizza sauce, low fat cheese and thin salami slices between two soft tacos and baked it for a few minutes (hope no one just started a craving just now). Then I sliced up a banana and drizzled some melted chocolate and sprinkled some slivered almonds over it. Yum!
So, while it was not the best choice, it was also not the worst it could have been. And no it didn’t make me feel better, but that’s what happened.  That was the bad!
Now a good!
I had been thinking about blogging a "pants progress" post like Ann does, I even had my size 22 pants out and did try them on twice but never did post about it – way to sad! Today, as I was looking for my sweet size 24W jeans, I saw the 22’s sitting there looking at me, challenging me. So I took them out, shook them out and decided again, I am not going to get these babies on. While they were towards the hip area, I thought, I’d better stop, but no, last time I could pull them all the way up, so I pulled them all the way up, then I lay down on my bed to zip them up. Since they’re strechy, it wasn’t hard to get off the bed. But you know what the fun part is? That was three hours ago, and I’m still wearing them. I don’t think I’ll ever take them off. They are snug, but not uncomfortably so. I even went out in public! Just put the long shirt over!
Gotta go find my size 20’s  now!

A cicada my son found outside, taking off her old clothes. Isn't she a beautiful green!

Next post and weigh-in is Monday. Tonight we’re having a Christmas dinner at my parents ranch with his employee’s and some neighboring ranch friends, Sunday night – a Christmas program at our home church. Monday and Tuesday are business dinners. Four busy nights!
I’ll be sure to post weigh in on Monday, but it may not be much more until maybe Wednesday or later.
Have a great weekend!
Casey

4 comments:

  1. You go girl..... I am ready to put my 18's away and search out some 16 .... awesome feeling isn't it.... KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud for you with the pants. I bought the same style jean I loved (they quit making them though) at avenue on sale for $10 in 3 diff sizes. I'd try them on like that until the smalles pair were too big. That was a few years ago and I'm bigger than all of the now but still... it was fun!

    As far as blogging goes, this is your journey. Write about what's on your mind, what you thinka about your choices. This is here to help you on your journey not to please others. You'll do that at some point and people will be motivated by you. I am right now over the jean thing :) That's not what it's really about though, at least for me it isn't. For me it's a document of my journey and thoughts that other people can read and comment on. The journey is just as, if not more, important than the end :) Enjoy it even when the bads are all you can write for that day. It isn't about the reader. It's about you!

    (I have a thing for the verification words. This one was "insprea"... kinda like inspiration ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey, this post just made my day. I LOVE that you tried on those pants - AND ARE WEARING THEM !!! What a fantastic pre-Christmas little present to yourself. I love it!!

    I don't think your little side trip pizza & banana dessert were diet-ending. Learning a new way to eat, and new habits, require we modify old favorites or just try our best to make things less unhealthy. You did that! Dieting is a process. It has ups and downs, and if you condier that a "down," then you did pretty well.

    I'm proud of you!

    Stacy is correct, you write about what you WISH to write about. This is your unique journey, and writing to please others does nothing to help you (or them). Your story, all by itself, is compelling enough, simply because it is uniquely your own!

    Now, do you have a good cookie recipe you'd care to share? I'm always looking for something new. That was some spread on your photo. And you only tasted THREE?!! I think THAT should qualify as a NSV all by itelf. LOL

    Enjoy the holidays. It sure sounds like great fun! Merry Christmas (early), if you don't get time to post/check in later!!

    xxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey, I think we shared the same thought today. I recently put in one of my posts that I lay awake at night on occasion thinking that I'll run out of things to blog about and lose all of my readers. I always strive to keep my posts positive but I've come to find out that people want to read real life, and life isn't always postive. It's all about balance. I'm slowly learning that, too!

    ReplyDelete